Crossroads Fellowship

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Happy Hobbies - The Selfers Way

Each one of us has hobbies we like to do. For some of us it is gardening, others like knitting, or maybe sewing, but for me it is video games. I guess I am from the generation that really gets into video games. I could probably sit here and analyze why I like video games so much, but I think it would be a little pointless because those who like them already know why, and for those who don't - well they just won't understand. Besides video games aren't the point, it just happens to be that video games are my hobby that I really like. The point is that I want each one of us to get in our mind the hobby that we like the best and spend the most time doing. OK everyone got it in their mind? Then read on and let's explore the world of hobbies.

It seems I have stated all of this once before, and unfortunately for me I will probably state it all again someday, as my stumbling in this area seems to be part of the old selfish nature I have to die to. When I say I like my hobby, I mean I really like my hobby. I think I like it to the point that it is unhealthy for my marriage, my parenting, and my walk with Christ. Now I am not saying that all hobbies are this way, but for me my hobby of playing video games is a bit unhealthy. As many of you know I have committed to getting up early and praying everyday for our church and anything else the Lord leads me to pray for. As of late I have found during that time of prayer my mind would begin to drift off to thinking about video games. So I would be like, "God why is my mind wandering like this, can you help me stay focused." It seems the resounding answer that came back over and over again in my spirit was that it is hard to keep your mind off of you god. WHAT! Did I just say video games were my god(s)? Yes, unfortunately that is what I said. I don't mean that I bow down at an altar of games, nor do I send my tithes to the game company, but I mean that in a very real sense the amount of time I spent playing (or thinking about playing) was time that should have been devoted to Jesus and/or my family.

I have found myself from time to time neglecting my wife and kids at times playing a video game, neglecting responsibilities of pastoring playing a game, even neglecting household chores playing a game. My walk with Christ is 24/7, my responsibilities to my family is 24/7, and pastoring is 24/7. Am I saying that I can not have a hobby? Nope that is not what I am saying. I am just saying that when I begin to serve my hobby instead of my hobby serving me then I need to quit that hobby and find better things to do with my time. So my game of choice has been tossed out, and hopefully I can find a hobby that my wife and kids like as well. Then perhaps we can do it in a God honoring way as a family. Are any of your hobbies taking over? Are your kids and spouse staring at the back of your head while you do your hobby? Are you finding yourself thinking about your hobby instead of work, Christ, family, or other important things? Is there anything in life that you may need to let go of? This is one area where I have been a selfer and need to change. What about you?

3 Comments:

  • Regarding Way of the Master ~ Lately, I've had all these doctor's appointments and tests and now physical therapy...so I look at these as great opportunities! As I check out, I've been saying, "thank you and here is a $10,000 tip and hand them the tract $10,000 with Mona Lisa and I say, by the way, it is a gospel tract. Really, you don't have to read the back but it is interesting. Thanks again, as I leave. EVERYONE HAS SAID THANK YOU AND READ IT!!!! Opportunities abound, it's just a matter of taking advantage of them...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:57 AM  

  • This is the best news I've had in a while!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:40 PM  

  • I really enjoyed reading this blog. What a realization!!! I am praying for you and your family. I am sure, if we all get honest, there are many "gods" (small g) we serve in our lives. This has prompted me to pray God will reveal any areas in my life where I have made people, hobbies, or anything else a god...when there is only one God!!!
    Thank you Jerry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home