Crossroads Fellowship

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Neglected By The Church

As we try to reach the youth of our community with the gospel, it seems to us that one of the roughest group of kids out there are those who would label themselves skaters. These kids are foul mouthed, rude, rebellious, flirting with drugs, and the worst thing of all - neglected by the church. It seems that every church wants to grab the star athletes, the smart kids, the pretty girls, the doctor's kids, and the rest of those who look like they have something to offer the church, but no one wants to mess with the kids who look like they are gonna take a lot of energy. In many people's opinions skaters are just the dregs of the youth of our society. I hear adults in and out of the church talking about how these kids are so bad, and so destructive. Business owners and city officials run them off from everywhere if they see them skating because they are so "destructive." It is no wonder they are so bad, they are just being everything we have told them they already are.

However God has done a wonderful thing in Larry's heart as he changes him to want to reach out to these kids. Money has been spent to build a place for them to come and skate, time has been invested, and lives are being changed. This past Thursday we loaded up on the church bus and headed to a skate park in Nashville. It was a sight to see this church bus heading down the road with 41 teens and young adults, and another four "old people" heading to a place called Concrete Wave. It didn't look much like "church." Kids with piercings, dirty clothes, torn up shoes (it seems every skater in the world needs new shoes), I can't tell you how many times one of these kids cussed, and on the way back one of them even tried to smoke a cigarette on the bus. It was a REALLY REALLY GOOD day. You probably wouldn't even believe how respectfully they sat and listened to the presentation of the Gospel we made. We are going to do our best to make sure these kids, who need Jesus the most, aren't neglected anymore. And the fact that one of them tried to smoke on the bus just means we are going to love that one more, not less. I know - I know he tried to smoke on the bus we should have kicked him off and told him if he ever did it again he couldn't ride with us, but hey I don't think Jesus would have done that, I mean he is a lost kid acting lost - go figure.

5 Comments:

  • wow that kinda wanted to make me cry and I was there!! I completely agree with you though, then again I was there as stated before and I can see the other side of them then the general first impression of rebellion. They want to be loved just as much, if not more, as everyone else. May God bless the ministry he has put us in, not for our sakes but for the sakes of whom we are trying to love.

    By Blogger Intuxas, at 9:46 AM  

  • Darn, it kinda made me wish I had thought of that!

    Oh yeah.... I did! www.riveroflifealliancechurch.org and go to the link called "Warning Skate Team"

    I love that my son Eddie brings his friends over and I get to go through the commandments with them while they hang out and skate. I love that my son Eddie tells me that I don't have to share my faith with his friends, because He is already doing it. I love that even though I was part of the original 'Dogtown' scene in southern California, Jesus still loved me so much that he made a way for me to escape my path of rebellion.

    Keep it up Jerry...Jesus came to seek and save those who were lost...and we need to do the same. I probably would have lit up a cig with that kid, if it helped me to be able to speak with Him about the Lord Jesus.

    By Blogger pastorboy, at 10:10 AM  

  • This reminds me of the two skaters from the youth group with a unique sound that the church didn't want to hear but the kids were more interested in sharing with the lost - you go boys of P.O.D.! Maybe the skaters would like their music...

    God is pouring out new wine to reach the lost generation (american kids).

    ~Barb

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:00 PM  

  • Jerry dude, you're a hell of a missionary! D

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:22 PM  

  • Barb Do you know the guys in P.O.D??????


    Jerry -- what is my user name and password???????


    Larry

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home