Crossroads Fellowship

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Why Were We Made?

What is our response to the Gospel message? I know that this seems like a silly question, but it really is of the utmost importance. What motivates us to repent of our sins and put our full faith and trust in the Lord Jesus? I think the answer is simple. God has put in each one of us a desire to live, and it is that God given desire that the Lord uses to our advantage. But after turning from sin to God what are we to do? The answer again is easy; we are to worship God, to present ourselves as living sacrifices holy and acceptable. The modern day Psalmist says it something like this:

You and I were made to worship,

You and I are called to love,
You and I are forgiven and free,
When you and I embrace surrender,
When you and I choose to believe,
Then you and I will see who we were meant to be.

The apostle Paul also says it very beautifully as well. Read these awe inspiring words! I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned. Romans 12:1-3 What powerful words! Paul has explained the Gospel of Christ, and then he says I appeal to you brothers, by God’s mercy, present yourselves as living sacrifices, which is worship true and pure. Your spiritual worship, which gives whole new depth of meaning to Christ’s words, “God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth." John 4:24

What does this presentation of our bodies look like? We will discuss that in more detail soon enough. But at the simplest explanation that I can share is this. God – the Supreme and Most High – can never be promoted or elevated higher. So then the only way to exalt or elevate Him is by making ourselves lower. This it what it means to bow down before the King! If we seek to raise God up we MUST lower ourselves in humble adoration. Brothers this is what Paul means by not thinking of ourselves more highly than we ought to think. Let us think of ourselves with sober judgment, and let us render unto the King of Kings true and loving worship, because you and I were made for exactly that.

Father God,
You did make me fresh and new by the blood of Jesus when I first repented and believed. I was made to worship You on that day, and so I ask you that You lead me into a life of worship, love, and obedience to You. May I alwasy exalt Your holy name.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home