Crossroads Fellowship

Friday, November 03, 2006

Legalism vs. Love

Many well intending people down through the years have used the freedom we have in Christ as an occasion for the flesh. The apostle Paul in Romans 7 and 8 teaches very clearly the freedom that we have in Christ Jesus. However we have misinterpreted that freedom, and used that freedom to gratify the desires of our flesh. To the person who reads scripture, both the Old Testament and the New Testament, there are very many warnings against sin. Even as believers we are admonished to not sin. My dear brethren we need to remember exactly what sin is in order to understand the warnings. Sin is transgression of the Law, or lawlessness. This definition is given in the New Testament, in 1 John 3:4.

There are those who would say that in trying to keep the commandments of God that we are indulging in the legalism that Jesus condemned in the Pharisees and other sects. The only appropriate response to that is this. Why are you seeking to keep the commandments? Are you trying to keep yourself from sinning so that you can be right with God, or are you doing it as a response to God’s grace, mercy, love, and forgiveness? If the former, then legalism it is, and it is of no avail! If the latter then it is true and proper religion! Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world. James 1:27 Paul echoes these sentiments in his second epistle to the church at Corinth. For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died; 2 Corinthians 5:14.

Having said all this though I think the apostle states it best in his epistle to the Romans when he makes this one powerful statement! What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Romans 6:15 You see as Paul gets ready to deal with the freedom we have in Christ in chapters 7 and 8 of the epistle to the Romans he first deals with the fact that that freedom does not grant license to sin, or break God’s commandments. It is important to remember that just because we are under grace that we are not allowed to go on sinning. If the Word of God says NO then no it is, if it says YES then yes it is. Let us seek after personal holiness because we love God, and for no other reason than that the love of Christ controls and compels us!

Father God,
You are the creator of all things, and giver of life! For that I praise and thank you. I praise you even now because you have saved a wretch like me, even though I daily struggle to walk holy. Lord may I walk holy out of response and worship of you, and not out of legalistic obligation. Lord God may my Christianity be more than superficial - - may my Christianity be sacrificial - - may my faith in you cost me something, namely may it cause me to crucify my flesh daily and live unto you.

1 Comments:

  • Hear, Hear! Thank you Pastor Jerry. I am a believer and follow both the Old and New Testament ways out of love and obedience to our Incredible Lord. Why do so? Because the Old and New Testament ways are God's ways and His ways are light and easy. The more I read and learned about Him, the more I felt compelled to follow the lifestyle example He lovingly gave to us, His sons and daughters. Some of my believing co-workers have violently criticized me, saying that I was being legalistic all the while they continue living according to what they see as right in their eyes. But truthfully, what I found was a far greater freedom by following God's Word (using Christ's example) and a much closer walk with the Lord that I ever imagined. If being "legalistic" means having a deep, loving relationship with my Lord, then I choose His Ways over the ways of the world any day!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home