Crossroads Fellowship

Thursday, November 15, 2007

What if I stumble and fall?

I can't believe that I did it. I went to pick up my "friend" Joe that I work with and take him to youth group at our youth leaders house and messed up. I have really struggled with drugs in the past, especially heroine, but pot was not my thing. However, when Joe pulled out the joint I got stoned with him. I didn't get nearly as stoned as he did, but I just didn't know how to get out of smoking with him. I have really been beating myself up about it, but my friend Stacy told me that I needed to let it go. It was in the past and if I would ask for forgiveness Jesus would forgive and I could go on. Yet I really felt bad until the sermon this morning at church, and it was like you were talking right to me.

This is the story as it was told to me on Sunday from a good friend after church. (Names were changed to protect identities.) We talked about our old sin life not counting anymore against us after we have come to Christ, yet we often fall prey to it. However scripture affirms to us quite a few times that our old sin life is gone as far as the East is from the West. Scripture quite clearly states that God buries our sin in the depths of the sea, places it behind His back, and separates it from Himself and from us. (Psalm 103:12, Micah 7:19, Isaiah 38:17) Romans 4:8 says that the man, or woman for that matter, that God does not count their sin against is blessed. What a blessing. God not counting our sin against us. You see my friend "Sheila" was feeling condemned for what she had done even after confessing and asking for forgiveness. She felt as though she was not worthy to walk with the Lord. However we talked about her worth not being from herself, but rather being given because she was IN Christ. Then we went on to talk about the need to be filled with God's Spirit so that she could have the power to walk holy.

"Sheila" was convinced right there at the table. We talked about what that would and would not look like. We talked about the fact that a lot of people say that if you pray to receive the Spirit and don't speak in tongues that it didn't work. I then related to her what Richard Harvey, former Pastor and C&MA DS, said about when he prayed to be filled with the Spirit. I told her God says if we ask according to His will he does it. So whether she spoke in tongues, or had another manifestation of a charismatic gift, or if it seemed nothing happened, as long as she asked in faith, and believed God's word she WAS filled and baptized in His Spirit. She said ok, then bowed her head and prayed to God to fill her with His Spirit. WOW....this was amazing.

What is so amazing about all of this? This was a believer who was a one week and one day old Christian. God is truly amazing when he reveals his truth to our heart. She told God she needed His in-dwelling Spirit to give her the power to obey. This is only a truth God could reveal. Now we are moving on to learning to walk in it. I wish God would give us all such a simple trusting faith as this young lady.

4 Comments:

  • WOW!! What a story!! And what a great GOD we serve!! AMEN!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 AM  

  • She is so wise to come to the end of herself in trying in her vain attempts to obey God in her own strength....the same power that rose Jesus from the dead is at work in us. It's always all about God - that He convicts us to confess but then He wants us to empty ourselves and ask for the Holy Spirit to give us the power to obey. To GOD be ALL the glory. Way to Go sis, and keep on going on....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 AM  

  • How dare you.

    Preaching about holiness and leaving sin behind? That is so insensitive. How can anyone who is seeking God find Him when you preach about such things? You need to preach on the wonderful life God has in store for you if you just pray a prayer and really, really believe! And that God will forgive you if you are really, really sorry! After all,God is a forgiving God! He forgives everything and everybody!

    You are a narrow minded, pious jerk.

    Sincerely,

    Emergent Eddie and Saddleback Sam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:14 PM  

  • ah, but you should have reminded this young lady that repentence is a daily activity....for:

    1Jn 1:8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
    1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
    1Jn 1:10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

    Is EE and SS an inside joke that I dont know about?

    By Blogger Steve Hill, at 8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home