Crossroads Fellowship

Monday, November 27, 2006

Does God Worship Us?

This may sound like a crazy question that I am asking. But I think the answer to this question will shed a lot of light on many of our problems. Let's take for instance the story of Achan. We know that Achan was one of the Israelites that was present at the battle of Jericho. And he took some of the spoil of the city that was to be devoted unto the Lord. This stealing of the spoil brought a curse upon the nation of Israel and at the next battle at a little town called Ai they got whipped. At the root of what Achan did is a false view of God and his character. Achan deep inside might have held a belief that God's chief end in life was to make man happy. Yet scripture is clear that making us happy is not God's chief end, but that His glory is His chief end.

For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for how should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to another. Isaiah 48:11

If you ask people if God worships us or we worship him everyone is going to quickly say that we worship him. But then we will ask each other to pray for such ungodly things. I have had people ask me to pray that their divorce would go smoothly. I reply why are you getting divorced? The reasons are various, but very seldom have I ever heard a reason that was a biblical reason. At the heart of this prayer request is a total disregard for God's laws and commandments about marriage, because we think that God lives to serve us and make us happy. Or someone will tell me about thier financial woes and ask me to pray for them a better job, and maybe help them figure out a budget. As we look at thier budget they don't tithe or give anything to God. You show them plainly in scripture where they should give tithes and offerings as a part of their budget and they shrug it off saying that the tithes were recieved at a different time and place, but God wants everyone now to keep all their money and provide for their family.

Or take for instance the church hopping epidemic in America. We have a church on every corner practically, and people are free to choose from any of them. A person will go to a church and be there for a while until the preacher or Sunday school teacher brings up sin, repentance, righteousness, or judgement. Then the person will leave the church giving the reason that the leaders are too hard on the people by calling them to repentance from sin, and turning to God. They then go to a church that preaches feel good messages that get you excited about your family or yourself, and excited about being alive. We go for what makes us feel good about us, all the while saying that it is God's will in our lives. Though we scarce want to admit it, we hold a deep belief that God worships us more than we worship him. This is why we not only seek after sinful things such as divorce, or stealing the tithe or devoted things of God. At the heart of all of these problems we think God's chief aim is to make us happy, but the reality is this:

For my own sake, for my own sake, I do it, for how should my name be profaned? My glory I will not give to another. Isaiah 48:11

Father God,
May I always keep in mind and hidden in my heart that all that you do and all that you are is for your glory and for no one elses. Lord may I always see that even when you give to me good things that my happiness is part of you bringing glory to yourself, and may I always know that if something I want takes away from your glory that I should crucify that desire seeking only what you would have for me. Jesus may I worship you only, and may I never be guilty of thinking that you worship me.

3 Comments:

  • Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.

    Well written, well argued, and straight from the Bible, but hits WAY too close to home for me at times.

    Thanks! (I think). :)

    By Blogger CrimsonLine, at 2:00 PM  

  • Well-stated, my friend. I think this is a very impotant message for the church in America. Stand in th truth, brother. Good study on Romans, as well. These truths will keep you in hard times.

    Praying for you. your family and your church.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:38 AM  

  • Ouch, so so true!! In our humanness, we come to God seeking that which we ourselves desire, totally disregarding what God desires. We also must remember, that God promised that ALL things would work together for OUR good. Also, ask yourselves this, who knows you better? You or your parents? If this is so humanly, imagine how much more so with your creator. Therefore, God knows the desires of your heart better than you EVER could. Why do I say this when Pastor Jerry's whole article was about God wanting to bring glory to himself? Because God NEVER breaks His Word. He is glorified via two means, His Word and US. If His Word to us was to be broken by Him, that would NOT bring him glory. If however, he kept His Word to us, whether in a way we wanted or not and often the case is, NOT, because as Pastor Jerry said, we pray for ungodly things, then our testimony of His Goodness would bring glory to His Name. So Lord, I add further to Pastor Jerry's prayer, please would you give us the gift of discernment, so that we may truly know which desires of our heart fit with yours. So we may pray on the things you would have us pray and disgard the things of the enemy. Let all things in our lives be to the glory of your name. We put every last thing into your hands and pray that you would ever use it to your glory or would burn it to ash. In Jesus Holy Name Amen.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home